photo home_zpsd08cd69f.png photo aboutme_zps8d12def5.png photo uni_zps0be54185.png photo birthstories_zpsb81f1a24.png photo askme_zps0f6fd888.png photo beloved_zps4a1f3a45.png

Monday 11 August 2014

Henry's Birth Story...



So the first 8 months of my pregnancy was very normal until I hit 37weeks. I met with my consultant on Monday the 3rd September as I had horrendous pain in my ribs, he confirmed that I had fluid on my ribs and that I would have to be induced ASAP. This was a big shock as I'd been through my pregnancy thinking and planning that I would have a nice easy birth with preference of a water birth. Obviously when you get induced this is clearly not an option anymore which was upsetting and very daunting! 

I was booked in for the induction on Friday the 7th September at 9am.......God that week dragged! Friday came and before I knew it I was lying in my hospital room waiting to see the doctor, they explained what the process was and that I would have a pessary inserted to soften the cervix before they could start with the pitocin (the drug to kick start labour). At 3pm that day the pessary was inserted and I had to now wait 24 hours before they could take it out!

The Saturday came and I was in horrendous pain during the night and into early morning, I promised myself I wouldn't have pain relief but little did I know what I was in for. At 10am I had a drug called pethidine which eased the pain and I was able to get some sleep (more like dead to world). Before I knew it It was 3pm and the pessary could now be removed. Eventually at 7pm it was removed as the ward were really short staffed and no one was available to do it. They also broke my waters at the same time......which can I tell you was just weird! 


After speaking to my mum and telling her there was no point in her coming down to the hospital as nothing was really moving at a fast pace......my contractions started! Every 3 mins I was in so much pain - I didn't even think it was possible to feel pain like that and still actually be alive ha. I was offered gas and air which really helped. It was now 10pm and the pitocin drip had started. At this point I was begging for an epidural and I was 5cm dilated. I eventually got my epidural and was instructed to use the button provided to control the strength of it. I was in that much pain I kept forgetting to press it and was really struggling especially having no sleep for over 24 hrs!

At around 3am Sunday 9th September I was now fully dilated and ready to push. I pushed for over an hour with no success......my son was stuck. The doctors realised that my son was struggling to breath and his heart rate was dropping so they rushed me to the nearest theatre. I was then told that they would be assisting my delivery with forceps around the babies head and an episiotomy (ouch). Within 3 pushes he was out, a little bruised in his face but I was just glad to have him here safely! 


Henry George Holliday was born 9th September 2012 at 6.51am. We were so happy and it truly is the best feeling in the world! Very amazing!


Lois
x

No comments:

Post a Comment